DETOX WEEK...

Wednesday, June 5, 2013



Several weeks ago I went in search of a new cookbook.  I was in desperate need of some new recipes to cook and my love was in need of some new recipes to eat.  I knew Gwyneth Paltrow had a new cookbook out and I have to admit I was excited to check it out.  I kind of have a major girl crush on her.  Her book, It's All Good, was just what I was looking for. Healthy meals that looked delicious and didn't take a lot of time to make.  DONE.  As I started reading the book I was amazed at the story of how the cookbook came to be and the fact that there isn't one recipe in the book that has sugar, butter, cheese, or cream.  Is it possible to cook like this and still enjoy the food?  ABSOLUTELY.... 





I couldn't wait to get started cooking! Some of the recipes looked amazing...

scrambled tofu with avocados, pickled jalapenos, and black beans

japanese restaurant-style salad with carrot-ginger dressing

As I flipped to the back of the book there were menus for different types of weeks: a vegan week, a family friendly week, and a DETOX week. 
DETOX? HMMM...  This sounded interesting.  I've done Detox's before but they've always been dumb and I usually only last a day or two.  But, these detox meals looked like meals I could actually eat! It was just what I needed.  A good cleanse of the body before I started back to work.  After being pregnant for 9 months I thought my body could use a good cleansing with some wholesome food. 
This DETOX was awesome, but I will tell you it was time consuming.  It was perfect because it was the last week of my maternity leave so I was at home and had time to prepare the meals.  If I was back to work in the real world, I am not so sure this would have worked out.  The DETOX meals are also detailed with lots of ingredients and lots of ingredients I wouldn't normally have in my pantry. I bought most of the items at Trader Joes & Whole Foods.  It was also pretty expensive to do this.  I spent about $250 on food and this was just for a week.  I could have cut out some ingredients I am sure, but if I was going to do this I wanted to do it right.  All in all it was a really good detox.  I didn't lose more than 2 pounds, but I wasn't doing this to lose weight.  I was doing this to feel good and clean out my system.  Several of the recipes I am still using on a daily basis.  Here's a sample of the DETOX menu.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of the DETOX WEEK tomorrow.  I'll post some of my favorite recipes from the week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger